Monday, February 16, 2009

Eden's Money Jar


Over these last four years Pete and I have discovered that Eden responds very well to positive reinforcement. So I thought it would be a grand idea to reward her for doing tasks that are above and beyond expected behavior. Each time we notice Eden behaving above and beyond the "call of duty" we will add some change to her jar. Naughty behavior will be punished by removing change from the jar. At the end of the week, if she has earned a dollar or more, she can spend it at the Dollar Store or Walmart. As a side note we do disciple with spanking as well. I not ashamed to say it because I think this is a tool that God has given us to help shape our children to His will. I'm not sure how we're going to work out all the details (we're kinda learning as we go), but I think we'll have set behaviors that will always warrant a spanking: Bad attitudes as shown by pouting, stomping, crossing arms, or saying "I don't have to!"; violent behavior toward Noah; lying; and deliberate disobedience. Lesser offences may be dealt with by removing money from the jar. With that being said, Eden does so many GOOD things and I felt she needed to be rewarded for those times. There are many times I've seen her comfort her brother, clean up a mess, or choose to obey a difficult request. As soon as I told her about the "money jar" she was super excited and grasped right away that exceptional behavior will be rewarded. I also thought this would be a good way to introduce money management. She'll have just a dollar to spend plus some extra change for tax, so she'll begin to learn the value of money and "shopping" on an budget. As she gets older I think we'll encourage her in the disciplines of giving, saving, and investing as well. All in all, E and I had a great time crafting her money jar. I let her do most of the gluing and "designing" and she was so proud of her project when we were done. I hope this will really help to encourage her in doing good deeds.

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Hebrews 10:24

4 comments: