Thursday, April 9, 2009

I can TOTALLY sew that!!!

Pete and I have been married for five years and over these past years I've often teased him when he says, "I can totally make that babe!" Whether it be bookshelves, kitchen cabinets, or a headboard for our bed, my amazing husband can pretty much make anything! Well now it's my turn. Just about every other day I find myself saying, "I can totally sew that sweetie!"  Ah the irony. So on that note here are some projects that I've recently completed...
                                                                                                                         


This used to be the ugliest little accent table! Pete and I purchased it at a second hand furniture store when we moved to Omaha. It was originally painted a dark hunter green, which didn't match our decor. I repainted it this smoky blue color and sewed a skirt that I then velcroed to the inside ledge. I now use it in our guest bedroom/nursery. Behind the skirt hides a small bookshelf that Noah likes to get into. Out of sight, out of mind!


I used the remnants from the accent table fabric plus a cream-colored twin sized sheet from Walmart to make this crib skirt. I wanted the decor for the nursery to be somewhat neutral since it doubles as a bedroom. This project was a lot more challenging than I thought, but I think it turned out great! 

          

Here's a little known fact: It's really, really, ridiculously, easy to sew fitted crib sheets. Why am I just figuring this out now?! For years I've searched for a unique contemporary style crib set that wasn't over $100, finally I gave up and settled for some cheapo sheets from Target (that ripped after about six months of use). Anyways, I just finished these today. I made one for the cradle and one for the crib. Seriously though, if you ever want a cool unique looking fitted sheet, I could totally sew it for you!

                      


5 comments:

  1. Nikki, you are so crafty and cool! I love resourceful, do-it-yourself people, and those who can pull it off fashionably really deserve praise. Way to go! Someday I will have to ask you to help me sew...I have never learned and always wanted to. My question is, when do you have time? You've got to be exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hyped up on pregnancy hormones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome back to blogging! I am so proud of you, you domestic diva!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow Nikki! You've been busy! Everything looks so great! You will have to show me the fitted sheet trick one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. I have a friend and we go around Target pointing at stuff and saying, "Oh I could SO totally make that! It'd be SO easy." It's hilarious, but usually true!

    ReplyDelete